Monday 9 March 2015

I got some 'splaining to do...

Saying happy new year when we're already into March might seem to be redundant, but as it's my first post of the year I'll say it anyway...Happy New Year!

Now i'm sure you're all rolling your eyes but since the new year I have been backwards and forwards having blood tests, turns out I have Coeliac disease! (Or have a very high intolerance to Gluten, I'm still waiting for more tests). So Gluten is now completely off the menu for me. It came as a bit of a shock, but I've accepted that it's only going to be a problem if I make it one. Loving cooking as much as I do I've enjoyed experimenting with new GF* recipes, in fact one of my very best friends said she wasn't worried about me because she knew I would enjoy trying out a load of new recipes! There have only been a few times I've felt really down about it, and that's only been when I've discovered that there's no GF alternative for some things. No more Malteasers for me! :(

Needless to say, any further recipes I post will be gluten free, but where I can I will post alternative ingredients for those of you who can eat gluten.

Despite it being a very eventful few months I have managed to get a few crafty projects done!



My latest makes

I made two of these Marvel inspired cushions, one for my boyfriends Christmas present and the other for myself (what can I say, I knew I would get jealous of his!)


http://www.simplicitynewlook.com/6004/#.VQNruvmsWSo
It was then that I awoke a dormant passion for sewing, and since then have been buying sewing books, magazines and patterns like there is no tomorrow. To make matters worse, I have become addicted to pinterest and my 'sewing and knitting' is getting pretty full! If any of you are interested in following my pinterest you can find me here https://www.pinterest.com/lbellamy94/

Once my sewing machine was out I couldn't resist in making something else, so took a trip to my local sewing shop to buy a pattern and pick out my fabric. The pattern I used was New Look 6004, part of their 'learning the basics' range (link in caption). You can see the finished skirt and a closeup of the fabric I used, I fell in love with it's bold pattern as I am obsessed with 60's fashion and it looked like it would have fit right in! 

As well as sewing I have recently found my passion for knitting (I REALLY didn't need anymore hobbies). I bought this knitting book from the works (I really should just start paying my wages directly to them), which had some great simple projects at the the back. Scarves are the standard starter project, but I have way too many scarves as it is, so I made myself a nice red knitted hat. The Knitting Book: 1405368039


That's all for now, I have looooads of other makes in planning and I have started making a beaded pearl peter pan collar necklace. I also have quite a few recipes I hope to upload (gluten free of course), so keep an eye out for them! If you'd like regular updates of my craft projects, checkout my instagram @LouiseMakesthings. In the meantime, I recommend checking out The Works; they have loads of new crafty things and recipe books in. Even if you're not an experienced crafter, they have lots of lovely craft kits that are easy to make! The Works Website

Louise x

*GF = Gluten Free

No comments:

Post a Comment