Tuesday 7 October 2014

Top Tomato!

Hello again!

I have not posted anything for a few months now (shocker) and my only excuse is that I have been home from uni for the summer; I am back now and ready to bring you more homemade goodness! I am sadly writing this from bed as I have been struck down with the dreaded freshers flu, so the recipe I am bringing you today is one from last week when I was firing on all cylinders, enjoy!

Easy Peasy Italian Sauce



This recipe is brilliant for pouring over pasta or using as a basic pizza sauce, and it uses just 4 simple ingredients. I usually find using a whole tin of chopped tomatoes will serve about 3 people as a pasta or bolognese sauce.

Basic Ingredients

- 1 tin of Chopped Tomatoes (NOTE: Peeled tomatoes are different as you need to chop them up yourself. Supermarket Value packs of chopped tomatoes are perfect to jazz up for your sauce)
- 1 onion, peeled and diced (roughly). I usually buy more onions than I can get through before they go off, so I dice them the day I've bought them and freeze them ready for use
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed (or finely chopped if you don't have a garlic crusher)
- Herbs (fresh or dried); basil, oregano OR 'Mixed Italian Herbs'
- Optional; Salt and pepper to taste

Variations (best for sauces)

- Chopped Mushrooms/pepper/carrots/courgettes; these help the sauce go further and are fab at helping give you more of your 5-a-day
- A healthy glug of Red Wine; this makes the sauce extra specially rich and will dress up your meal perfectly, you can either buy a small bottle of red wine, cooking wine or use whatever wine you're drinking with your meal anyway!

How do?

- Warm a splash (1tbsp-ish) of oil (I use olive oil or vegetable oil) until it starts to sizzle or spit. 
- Add the chopped onion and garlic, let them cook for a couple of minutes but don't let them brown.
- Add your herbs and stir them into this; mixing these ingredients before you add the tomato helps release the flavour into the oil. You can tell because you'll be able to smell the ingredients!
- Add your chopped tomatoes, mixing them thoroughly with the onion/garlic/herbs. Allow to simmer.

You have your basic sauce.

If you are using mushrooms add them to the oil/garlic/onion the same time as the herbs to help them cook. Any veg you are adding should be added at the same time as the tomatoes, just make sure you simmer the sauce long enough for the veg to cook. As for the wine, add anytime once the tomato is in, just make sure you stir it well!

For a Bolognese

My preferred way to make a Bolognese is in the oven (just as my mama always makes) as opposed to on the hob. I find the flavour is completely different and a lot richer (especially with wine). The meat itself melts in the mouth it's so tender! To do it in the oven simply add all your ingredients to your mince in a casserole dish (with a lid) and cook on about 180°C for 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally. A few of my friends swear by adding a dash of golden syrup to a bolognese, I have never tried this however as I find it tasty enough without! Dolmio Original Bolognese Sauce is great if you haven't all your ingredients, as it contains 100% natural ingredients and no artificial 'stuff' in it.

For a Pizza Base Sauce

Cook on the hob as mentioned above, but try to strain a bit (not all!!!) of the juice from the chopped tomatoes off. Add a healthy squeeze of tomato paste also to thicken, and if you find it is still a bit too runny try and reduce the sauce, or add a bit of cornflour/water paste.


Naturally, whatever you use this sauce for it should be served with grated cheese; especially Parmesan! 

Enjoy experimenting with these variations! x

1 comment:

  1. Hello dear, I am doing a Giveaway on my blog, I invite you to win a sweater (you have 5 choices) from Oasap online store! I hope you participate and if you do, GOOD LUCK! :)

    http://fashiongetsfierceblog.blogspot.pt/2014/10/oasap-sweater-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete